Special Educational Needs & Disability (SEND)

All Hartlepool Local Authority (LA) maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and /or disabilities and are supported by the LA to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school.

All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities (SEND) being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible. Brougham Primary School’s SENDCO is Mrs Sarah Greenan.

The broad areas of SEND need are:

  • Communication and Interaction.
  • Cognition and Learning.
  • Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties.
  • Sensory and/or Physical.

Select a topic below to scroll to the relevant section on this webpage

School Policy


Special Education Needs Information Report

What is the Special Education Needs Report?

Schools utilise the LA Local Offer to meet the needs of SEND pupils as determined by school policy and the provision that the school is able to provide. Schools refer to this as ‘The Special Education Needs Information Report.


Hartlepool ‘Local Offer’ of SEN Support


What is the Local Offer?

The LA Local Offer

The Children and Families Bill was enacted in September 2014. From this date Local Authorities (LA) and schools are required to publish and keep under review information about services they expect to be available for children and young people with special educational needs (SEN) aged 0-25. The LA refer to this as the ‘Local Offer’.

The intention of the Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families. It will also be an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area.

To access further information please use the link below.

Hartlepool is currently a ‘Pathfinder Authority’.

The SEND Pathfinder Programme is testing proposed reforms to the current system of supporting children and young people with Special Educational Needs and disabilities (SEND).


Hartlepool Information, Advice and Support Services


Opening Times: Monday to Thursday 8:30am to 5:00pm.  Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm (all year round)

Tracy Liveras

Short Break & Parent Participation Officer

Telephone: 01429 284876  




Children’s Hub

You can contact the Children’s Hub by letter, telephone, text or email. If English is not your first language we can provide a translation service.

Child and Adult Services
Hartlepool Borough Council
Civic Centre
Victoria Road
TS24 8AY

Telephone: 01429 284284




Hartlepool Families First

families first

Hartlepool Families First exists to improve the quality of health and life for children, young people and their families through a range of social, welfare and educational measures.

The organisation’s objectives, as stated in their constitution, are: “Provision of therapeutic, educational and stimulating toys and equipment, the preservation and protection of health and the relief of distress within family relationships, , in particular but not exclusively by the provision of a support and advice service and the promotion of good parenting practice and skills.”

Contact Details

Hartlepool Families First, 6-7 Belle Business Park, Greatham Street, Hartlepool, TS25 1RU

Telephone: 01429 867016

Fax: 01429 818463



Speech, Language & Communication

Almost everything we do involves speech, language and/or communication. Everyday tasks, learning, sorting out problems, having a conversation, getting a job, making friends and having fun all rely on our ability to communicate.

Being able to say what you want to say and to understand what other people are saying is the most important skill we need in life. Yet many people take communication for granted. Some children and young people have difficulty communicating with others: they have speech, language and communication needs – often referred to as ‘SLCN’.

Speech refers to:

  • speaking with a clear voice, in a way that makes speech interesting and meaningful;
  • speaking without hesitating too much or without repeating words or sounds;
  • being able to make sounds like ‘k’ and ‘t’ clearly so people can understand what you say.

Language refers to talking and understanding:

  • joining words together into sentences, stories and conversations;
  • knowing and choosing the right words to explain what you mean;
  • making sense of what people say.

Communication refers to how we interact with others:

  • using language or gestures in different ways, for example to have a conversation or to give someone directions;
  • being able to consider other people’s point of view;
  • using and understanding body language and facial expressions, such as: knowing when someone is bored, being able to listen to and look at people when having a conversation, knowing how to take turns and to listen as well as talk, and knowing how close to stand next to someone.

NOTE: If you are concerned about your child’s speech, language and /or communication, please speak to your child’s teacher and or / Mrs Greenan

Publications from the Communication Trust

The Communication Trust is a campaigning voice for children with speech, language and/or communication needs. Their website is


Educational Psychology Team

Our current Educational Psychologist is called Kathryn Crowder

Kathryn helps children throughout the school with a range of issues that affect their, for example, learning, concentration, attention and/or social communication and interaction.

Because there can sometimes be confusion (and even fear) about the role of an Educational Psychologist, it is worth explaining that, in short, the purpose of a school seeking support from an Educational Psychologist is so that she/he can contribute to the identification and assessment of a child’s needs and recommend strategies and support arrangements which will enable the child to make progress.


Useful Websites