Parent Governor Vacancy
We have two vacancies for parent governor which we need to fill as soon as possible. Brougham Primary School, as part of Ad Astra Academy Trust, has always aimed for a partnership with parents which undoubtedly brings great benefits to the children. One of the most significant ways you can help in promoting this aim is to volunteer to be a parent governor.
The governing body’s main tasks are:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and supporting the strategic direction of each school, which includes school improvement planning and monitoring of progress towards this;
- Holding the headteacher to account for the educational performance of the school and its pupils, including behaviour of pupils and the management of staff;
- Overseeing the financial performance of the school and making sure its money is well spent.
- Ensuring a corporate responsibility for safeguarding children following the guidance in the DfE document 2018, ‘Keeping Children Safe in Education.’
Parent governors are welcomed as valued members of the team and play a vital role in ensuring the governing body is aware of the views of parents and the local community. We feel sure that there are parents prepared to take on this important role and give their time and commitment to helping us to continue to improve the school’s performance.
In looking to fill this vacancy the governors of the school have identified the following skills, experience and attributes that they feel would help strengthen the governing body:
- An interest in all children’s futures
- A desire to make a difference
- A willingness to accept responsibility
- An ability to work in a team, ask questions, listen and learn
Training and support will be available to help you develop into the role. If you feel you can help in this capacity, please apply using the form attached and return to the school by 12.00 noon on ________.
I also enclose a list of the disqualification criteria which you must read before applying. Anyone requiring additional information on this subject can contact the Headteacher. All new governors will be required to undergo an enhanced DBS check (Disclosure and Barring Service) and complete an application form including a declaration. Governors can take up their duties from the date of their appointment providing they have submitted their completed form and had a satisfactory enhanced DBS check and returned to the Headteacher.
The guidelines giving full details about how vacancies are filled can be found on the school’s website.
If there are more applications than vacancies, we will hold an election. If this is the case, applicants will have the opportunity to produce a short personal statement to accompany the ballot paper. If an election is required, you will be sent details about this in due course.